As many of us either move up the ranks or go out on our own, we forget what it is like to be appreciated because instead of us getting the “at a boys” from managers as an individual contributor, we get the “now look what you did” from clients.
So, how do you coupe and make sure you and/or your teams feel great about what they are doing beyond material compensation (that is a starting point, by the way)?
- When you are out on vacation and have others manage the helm, send them a snail mail card when you return thanking them for keeping things afloat while away (I highlight snail mail because email is overrated for this type of activity)
- At unexpected times tell colleagues to leave early
- Take the team out for lunch or happy hour
- Compliment colleague in front of peers or other leaders within the company
- Promote promote promote (I don’t mean promote by levels, I mean promote with peers the quality and capabilities of someone that deserves recognition)
- Tell someone how much you appreciate them (’nuff said)!
So, who have you appreciated today?